+ J.M.J.A.T. +

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Our Holy Father's Mission Intention

"That ordained ministers, religious women and men and lay people involved in apostolic work may understand how to infuse missionary enthusiasm into the communities entrusted to their care."

Enthusiasm is a word that has had a lot of meaning for me recently. It is funny how God works things out so that whatever task a person is given, he or she is given the energy, knowledge, and grace to work for God's glory in whatever they might be doing. I have had wonderful experiences in certain places, doing certain jobs and now I am awaiting another mission. I don't have a direct quote but in one of Father George Aschenbrenner's articles or tapes on religious life he says that apostolic communities are held together by the experience of being missioned. I didn't realize how true this really was until experiencing the "ritual" that goes along with being missioned.

Typically in my community, if we are being changed, we receive our new missions during evening prayer. It usually happens during the month of May. Of course, when a particular need arises it can occur anytime, but there is something very special about coming together in prayer as a community and having God's plan revealed to you together with others who are focused on following Him. This year I am preparing to actively have God's plan revealed to me in that way. This is why the Holy Father's mission intention this month struck my heart.

I will be praying for my community that we do God's will wherever we are sent with enthusiasm for the community of faith we will be serving. Selfishly, I will be praying a lot more for myself! I don't know where I will be going or what I will be doing and there is excitement and nervousness... but in the end I know I will have enthusiasm wherever I might be sent. The key is in being sent, being available, and being full of love and zeal for the mission. We are sent together and wherever one of my sisters is, all of us are. We are united in the experience of being sent.

God grant all those who serve your Church to be filled with enthusiasm and love for whatever work You choose for them. Let us rely on You and on one another to fulfill Your will in our world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment