+ J.M.J.A.T. +

Monday, March 7, 2011

Lesson Planning

Any teachers can appreciate the much used acronym, "SWBAT."  For those who are not teachers or who don't use this acronym all the time... it stands for, "Students will be able to..."  When I write my lessons for each unit I write a list of things that my students will be able to do by the end of the unit or lesson.  After the "to" I always begin my objective with a dynamic verb from Bloom's Taxonomy.  I know all of this sounds ridiculous (unless your a teacher) but it has some really practical applications that I hadn't thought of until this evening when I was talking to another sister about our religious life.

What if I changed "Student" to "Sister"?  What should sister be able to do?  Well, looking at the verbs from Bloom's Taxonomy I have a few ideas.

Sister will be able to...

  1. identify God's presence in the people she serves and the sisters with whom she lives.
  2. explain in word and in action God's salvific work.
  3. be an example of the intimate relationship between God and each soul.
  4. demonstrate charity and mercy working with justice and morality by showing compassion while still challenging God's people.
  5. prepare for the coming of God's Kingdom.
  6. differentiate between right and wrong and help others to do the same.
  7. relate to her sisters as "one in mind and heart."
  8. reconstruct the world around her to be in line with the values of the Kingdom of God.
  9. justify her belief in her Spouse through prayer and knowledge, with the gift of faith, for all people.
Now, I'm sure I could come up with a lot more... and much more eloquent examples.  However, it was an easy way for me to meditate and pray over what it is that Jesus, the divine teacher, is trying to bring about in my heart and soul.  This is a quick, five minute, list of objectives.  It is a really easy way for me to both examine my conscience and look to where God is calling me.  What could God be calling you to be able to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment