+ J.M.J.A.T. +

Monday, February 15, 2010

Night

As Lent is getting very close I am reflecting on the night and the darkness. Right now in my room in the convent I have a candle burning and I was trying to get a little bit of schoolwork done. However, the silence of the night really called me in to reflect upon how God speaks through the night and through silence. Snow is falling softly outside my window and the convent is extremely quiet. Each sister is in her room praying, sleeping, or doing some last minute preparations for school tomorrow. Whether they are washing their veils in the sink, or grading a few papers, or praying night prayer each sister is in the presence of God alone in this quiet time of night. I don't often think about how present God is in the night but tonight I realize that He breaks through our busyness in the night if we are attentive enough to see Him. It is almost as if He is sitting right next to me, or that He is speaking right into my ear.

Night and dusk are my two favorite times of the day for "resting" with the Lord. When I am on my annual retreat I always go to bed when it is still light out but you can tell the whole earth is settling in for the night. It is a special treat for me to go to bed so early and wake up refreshed and naturally. Before I fall asleep though, I usually look out the window and watch the light fade as I pray my rosary. It is a blessed time for me. After all, this kind of relaxing quiet only happens for seven days a year!

This Lent I am in a different convent, with different sisters and a different ministry. However, Lent remains Lent and God remains God. I am anticipating beginning this great season of preparation and penance in this new place. Some things do not change though and they are that Jesus died for us and that He comes to us in the quiet and sometimes dark moments to call us closer to Him and to ask us to take up our cross and follow Him.

Only in this can we experience His glory!

"Often to make acts of love towards Jesus Christ. Immediately on waking, and before going to sleep, to make an act of love, seeking always to unite your own will to the will of Jesus Christ." -St. Alphonsus

No comments:

Post a Comment